Packaging Engineer - Home Furnishings
With over 130 store and warehouse locations and more than 7,500 associates across the U.S. and Canada, Crate and Barrel is a dynamic and growing multi-channel furniture and housewares retailer. So we can continue to help others love how they live in moments that matter, the iconic brand is looking for a driven and passionate professional to raise the bar and join our Sourcing department as a Packaging Engineer - Home Furnishings located in our Naperville, IL corporate office.
The Packaging Engineer is accountable for ensuring packaging standards, requirements and SOP's are understood and followed by Internal (Supply Chain; Merchandising) and external (Agents, Vendors, Factories, Suppliers and 3rd Party Test Labs) partners and service providers by proactively maintaining and updating Furniture and Housewares Packaging Guidelines, Vendor Operations Guides while communicating directly on new product or current packaged-products experiencing damages by making recommendations, creating CAP (Corrective Action Plans) and by partnering with Agents, Merchants and Sourcing to insure Packaging Improvements are effective and changes will be cost neutral.
- Support and drive improvements to packaging to lower damage and adjustments due to packaging.
- Partner with Quality and Supply Chain to understand and respond to handling, storage and transit hazards inherent in our network to increase profitability while ensuring that our Transit Test Protocols accurately reflect these hazards within our environment.
- Support both Crate and CB2 Merchandising teams by recommending and approving packaging steps from Agents and/or Vendors for new or current products; by providing them with the appropriate Transit Test Protocols for any and all qualifying next season products.
- Collaborate with Quality, Merchants, Agents and Vendors to identify and resolve Packaging or Quality issues as reported using the Business Objects reporting system.
- Run the Business Objects reports each month for both Crate and CB2 Merchandising Furniture and Housewares Teams.
- Facilitate the CAP meeting with Quality to identify new issues or opportunities. Follow up with Agents or Vendors regarding ongoing CAP items and review with them on any questions for new items. Maintain CAP tracking/progress through the shared Google Drive.
- As requested, run SKU specific reporting and identify if the reporting indicates Packaging Action Steps and/or follow-up.
- Manage and track performance of our transit testing program to insure these protocols are reflecting the distribution, handing and transit hazards inherent in our network.
- Update Transit protocols as needed as our Carrier Transportation environments evolve.
- Work with our labs to insure protocols are updated as ISTA (International Safe Transit Association) standards evolve.
- Four year degree in Packaging Engineering, some previous experience preferred
- 3-5 years of Packaging experience
- Familiarity with Packaging Drop-Testing sequences for confirming package design changes or improvements
- Travel up to 30%
- Excellent written and verbal Communication Skills –this includes being aware of your audience when relaying packaging technical terminology or referencing trade “jargon’ so concepts are explained in common, everyday terms
- Knowledge of transit and distribution hazards including safe methods and procedures for “better- best” storage and handling practices
- Excellent Organizational and analytical skills, detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task between large scope projects and aligning tasks to meet short term commitments
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Good reading, written and verbal language skills (English)
The job description and other aspects of the job listed on this job posting should not be construed to contain every function/responsibility that may be required to be performed by an associate in this job. Associates are required to perform other related functions as assigned.
Euromarket Designs, Inc., which does business as Crate and Barrel and CB2, will be referred to as “the Company”. The Company is deeply committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact the location you are applying to here and ask to speak with a manager regarding the nature of your request.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
The Company participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the US.
State / City Compliance: The Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal history, including arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring and the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Get To Know Our Team.
Get to know us and find out why you should become part of our team.Meet Our Associates
Don’t See Anything of Interest?
Join our Talent Community to stay in the loop with our job news and opportunities.Sign Up (Opens in New Window)