Assistant General CounselApply Location: Northbrook, Illinois
With over 130 store and warehouse locations and more than 7,500 associates across the U.S. and Canada, Crate and Barrel is a dynamic and growing multi-channel furniture and housewares retailer. So we can continue to help others love how they live in moments that matter, the iconic brand is looking for a driven and passionate professional to raise the bar and join our Legal department as an Assistant General Counsel located in our Northbrook, IL corporate office.
- Provide broad-based legal and regulatory counsel and support to the company and its affiliates, including all brands (Crate and Barrel, CB2, and Crate and Kids) and all global areas of operation.
- Oversee and manage the company’s privacy program, chairing the cross-functional Privacy Committee, staying current and counseling on all applicable laws and regulations, ensuring proper processes and policies for compliance, and collaborating with Privacy Committee members and others with responsibility for privacy functions throughout the organization.
- Serve as legal/compliance business partner for assigned functions, currently including Marketing, eCommerce, Merchandising and Business Sales, proactively working with leaders within such functions to anticipate and address legal and regulatory issues and compliance challenges.
- Review and revise marketing and advertising copy for all brands, as requested, to ensure compliance with applicable laws and industry standards.
- Advise on customer-facing communications in escalated customer service or public relations situations.
- Assist in safeguarding and responding to assertions concerning the company’s intellectual property rights.
- Possess a sufficient level of expertise in the company’s strategic initiatives and priorities and the relevant business operations, systems, policies and procedures to deliver swift, sound and tailored legal advice on matters within assigned functions and more broadly as necessary and appropriate.
- Manage outside counsel relationships to ensure the company receives high-quality legal services at cost-effective rates.
- Represent the Company’s legal function within the retail industry and the broader business community, including participation in industry trade groups and in legal associations, as appropriate.
- Partner with other departments to solicit and address concerns in regard to legal and regulatory needs and to identify and advise on risks.
- Participate in continuing legal education opportunities as required to maintain a law license and a member in good standing in at least one U.S. state bar, as well as to remain current on legal and regulatory issues applicable to the responsibilities of the position.
- 10+ years experience in private practice or corporate legal department setting
- J.D. from an accredited law school with excellent academic credentials
- Member in good standing of at least one U.S. state bar
- Experience with privacy, marketing, merchandising and intellectual property functions and laws and/or retail operations a decided plus
- Ability to work well as part of a team and with a wide array of individuals and levels, roles and personalities
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality; exemplary ethics and professionalism and diligent work ethic
- Ability to handle tight deadlines, changing priorities, multiple and simultaneous issues of immediate concern and high stress situations and ability to effectively prioritize the same
- Strong analytical and risk management skills
- Ability to weigh legal risks and opportunities against business goals and priorities
- Excellent reading, written and verbal language skills (English)
The job description and other aspects of the job listed on this job posting should not be construed to contain every function/responsibility that may be required to be performed by an associate in this job. Associates are required to perform other related functions as assigned.
Euromarket Designs, Inc., which does business as Crate and Barrel and CB2, will be referred to as “the Company”. The Company is deeply committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact the location you are applying to here and ask to speak with a manager regarding the nature of your request.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
The Company participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the US.
State / City Compliance: The Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal history, including arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring and the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Get To Know Our Team.
Get to know us and find out why you should become part of our team.Meet Our Associates
Don’t See Anything of Interest?
Join our Talent Community to stay in the loop with our job news and opportunities.Sign Up (Opens in New Window)