Furniture Designer, KidsApply Location: Northbrook, Illinois
With over 130 store and warehouse locations and more than 7,500 associates across the U.S. and Canada, Crate and Barrel is a dynamic and growing multi-channel furniture and housewares retailer. So we can continue to help others love how they live in moments that matter, the iconic brand is looking for a driven and passionate professional to raise the bar and join our Merchandising department as a Furniture Designer, Kids, located in our Northbrook, Illinois corporate office.
The Designer position is a design leadership role within the brand’s Crate & Kids Design and Development department that builds the future vision of Crate & Barrel through innovative product design. This position will oversee design, guide and execute the design development of all hardgoods for bedroom, playroom and nursery, from case goods including cribs/beds, dressers and nightstands, to modular storage, rockers, accent chairs, desks, shelving, and wall decor.
- Work Closely with the Senior Design Director on the design and execution of unique and innovative product concepts for your specific product category.
- Design and develop products consistent with seasonal trends and concepts, and customer/business needs.
- Manage the Design development process throughout its lifecycle, under the leadership of the Senior Design Director.
- Develop designs through hand rendering or CAD, and present them to internal and cross functional partners in merchandising and sourcing in the effort to be best in class brand builders.
- Collaborate with design leaders across the organization to develop cohesive collections across categories and establish strategic plans and objectives.
- Lead the design development of product lines into well positioned price points, contributing to successful business growth as a specialist for your specific product categories.
- Lead and manage the design development process through its entire lifecycle, from concept and ideation stages, through design sketch reviews, sample reviews, product finalizations.
- Lead the set-up of design, product and assortment review presentations for your specific categories in partnership with key members across merchandising and sourcing.
- Travel for design inspiration and in-country product development working with key vendor partners across the globe and in collaboration with our sourcing teams.
- Must provide a link to portfolio (including password) on resume or provide PDF samples
- A minimum of 5 years experience working in the home furnishing design and manufacturing industry; 2+ years managing categories highly preferred
- BFA or MA in Industrial Design, Furniture Design/Engineering, or any related design field
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing processes and engineering for cost effective design; experience working in/traveling to the Far East
- Proven ability to manage and grow product categories
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign) required
- Knowledge of rendering software (Solidworks and Keyshot preferred)
- Passion for design, style, and decorating, and strong knowledge of design and art history; kids/juvenile experience highly preferred
- In-depth knowledge of costing, furniture design, raw materials, and production processes
- Experience negotiating/influencing; ability to interact and collaborate with executives and/or major customers/vendors
- Excellent communication, presentation, and leadership skills
- Ability to make decisions on operational matters that impact the effectiveness of the team
- Ability to translate business and design objectives into strategic creative plans for team/function
- Good reading, written and verbal language skills (English)
The job description and other aspects of the job listed on this job posting should not be construed to contain every function/responsibility that may be required to be performed by an associate in this job. Associates are required to perform other related functions as assigned.
Euromarket Designs, Inc., which does business as Crate and Barrel and CB2, will be referred to as “the Company”. The Company is deeply committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact the location you are applying to here and ask to speak with a manager regarding the nature of your request.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
The Company participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the US.
State / City Compliance: The Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal history, including arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring and the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Get To Know Our Team.
Get to know us and find out why you should become part of our team.Meet Our Associates
Don’t See Anything of Interest?
Join our Talent Community to stay in the loop with our job news and opportunities.Sign Up (Opens in New Window)