Lead Database AdministratorApply Location: Northbrook, Illinois
With over 130 store and warehouse locations and more than 7,500 associates across the U.S. and Canada, Crate and Barrel is a dynamic and growing multi-channel furniture and housewares retailer. So we can continue to help others love how they live in moments that matter, the iconic brand is looking for a driven and passionate professional to raise the bar and join our Technology department as Lead Database Administrator, located in our Northbrook, IL corporate office.
The Lead DBA will be responsible for the design, architecture and managing the administration of specific database technologies for key systems within Crate&Barrel. They are responsible for creating, evaluating and implementing tools and processes to ensure overall reliability, availability, recoverability, and security. The Lead DBA will deploy robust, sustainable database solutions that position the business for success and seamless delivery while effectively managing change within the environment.
- Responsible for the acquisition, configuration, deployment and maintenance of critical database technology across the organization
- Ensures systems are designed and implemented for 24x7 availability
- Responsible for managing incidents and work orders for the DBA team
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures and controls for managing databases across the application stack, including JDA/BlueYonder, PeopleSoft, Hyperion, MicroStrategy
- Responsible for database performance along with continuous optimization.
- Establishes strategic vision and roadmap for relevant areas
- Provide leadership and review new and changing business strategies that impact technology planning, financial decisions and project milestones
- Manage capital projects and operating expense for department
- Engage with external technology vendors, suppliers and outsourcing partners to research new database technologies
- Evaluate and review industry trends that will allow the company to grow and scale quickly
- Partner with security and compliance on key deliverables and actions, including customary audits and handling of PII
- Effectively manages and motivates both on-site and off-shore resources
- Provides reporting to senior leadership on system performance and optimization opportunities
- Effectively assesses capacity and data retention for planning purposes
- Execute with an eye toward innovation and automation
- Identify repeatable tasks and engage with technical partners to eliminate manual or rudimentary processes
What you'll Bring:
- We do not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position
- College degree in the field of computer science and/or 10+ years equivalent work experience
- 7+ years experience managing database technology in an enterprise environment
- Practical experience with database fundamentals, such as Hadoop, DataLakes or ETL methodologies.
- Experience managing 3rd party providers (Pythian, Datavail) and off-shore teams to deliver DBA capabilities.
- Hands-on experience with replication technologies and solutions (Mimix, DataGuard, VPC, SQL Replication and AlwaysOn, VMRM, FSRM), including practical experience with DR roleswaps and failovers
- Proficient in backup/recovery solutions, including RMAN, IDPA, DDBoost, DataDomain
- Proven ability to effectively design tables, schemas, indices, data structures and relationships
- Working knowledge of public cloud database infrastructure and architecture (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Strong working knowledge of current and legacy database concepts and platforms (Oracle, DB2, MS SQL, NoSQL)
- Fluency in monitoring and db optimization tools, such as OEM, DTA, LQS, Solarwinds, LogicMonitor
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment around driving change and scale within a Technology organization. Includes ability to coach and mentor others
- Strong collaboration skills with the ability to understand business requirements, communicate vision and gain alignment with senior leadership
- Working knowledge of enterprise operating systems, including RHEL, Windows Server, AIX and IBM i
- Excellent attention to detail and creative problem-solving skills
- Strong financial acumen and program management skills
- Strong familiarity with key SDLC disciplines
- Ability to be hands-on when troubleshooting major incidents across the organization.
- Good written and verbal language skills (English)
The job description and other aspects of the job listed on this job posting should not be construed to contain every function/responsibility that may be required to be performed by an associate in this job. Associates are required to perform other related functions as assigned.
Our commitment to our associates is of the utmost importance. One of the reasons the company attracts such a dynamic group of associates is that we offer a full menu of benefits that are relevant to their lives, both on and off the job. Many of these benefits begin on day one, and extend to eligible dependents. To learn more about available benefits please click https://jobs.crateandbarrel.com/benefits.
Euromarket Designs, Inc., which does business as Crate and Barrel and CB2, will be referred to as “the Company”. The Company is deeply committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact the location you are applying to here and ask to speak with a manager regarding the nature of your request.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
The Company participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the US.
State / City Compliance: The Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal history, including arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring and the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Get To Know Our Team.
Get to know us and find out why you should become part of our team.Meet Our Associates
Don’t See Anything of Interest?
Join our Talent Community to stay in the loop with our job news and opportunities.Sign Up (Opens in New Window)