Senior Designer, FurnitureApply Location: Northbrook, Illinois
With over 130 store and warehouse locations and more than 7,500 associates across the U.S. and Canada, Crate and Barrel is a dynamic and growing multi-channel furniture and housewares retailer. So we can continue to help others love how they live in moments that matter, the iconic brand is looking for a driven and passionate professional to raise the bar and join our Product Design and Development department as a Senior Designer, Furniture located in our Northbrook, IL corporate office.
The Senior Designer, Furniture is a key design role within the brand’s Product Design and Development department that builds the future vision of Crate and Barrel through innovative product design. This candidate must be a highly motivated, creative team leader with a strong foundation in both upholstery and case good design. A strong understanding of materiality, product development processes, manufacturing/engineering experience is a must in this role.
The Senior Designer will work closely with the Senior Director of Furniture and Lighting throughout all business tasks. They will have the responsibility of guiding and mentoring the assistant and associate level designers. This role will be involved in all phases of the design process from initial sketch ideation to creating full drawings sets, presenting to internal teams and responsible for coordination throughout the PD process. They will work with our internal and cross-functional teams in achieving company goals and building new strategies.
- Must provide Portfolio link (including password) on resume or PDF sample.
- Collaborate with the Senior Director of Design on the design and execution of unique and innovative furniture concepts for the large scale scope of upholstery and case goods categories.
- Manage the design development of product lines consistent with seasonal trend direction concepts, customer and business needs under the leadership of the Design Director.
- Develop detailed designs through hand rendering and/or CAD, and present them to internal and cross-functional partners in merchandising and sourcing to be best in class brand builders.
- Collaborate with design leaders across the organization to develop cohesive collections across categories.
- Lead the design development of product lines into well positioned price points set by merchants, contributing to successful business growth as a specialist for your specific product categories.
- Manage the design development process through its entire lifecycle, from concept and ideation stages, through design sketch reviews, sample reviews, product finalizations.
- Must be able to pitch in and help create CAD drawings during heavy design periods.
- Lead the set-up of design, product and assortment review presentations for your specific categories in partnership with key members across merchandising and sourcing.
- Collaborate with, lead and foster the talent of a design team composed of associate and assistant designers.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of these associates while reporting back to the Design Director.
- Travel for design inspiration and in-country product development working with key vendor partners across the globe and in collaboration with our sourcing teams.
- Participates with other senior leaders to establish strategic plans and objectives
- 7+ years experience working in furniture design and manufacturing industry
- BFA or MA in Industrial Design, Furniture Design or any related design field
- Experience leading a design team with strong communication and leadership skills
- Passion for product and interior design and knowledge of design and art history
- Hands on manufacturing and engineering experience working closely with factories domestically and internationally
- Strong understanding of materiality and fabrication processes
- Strong understanding of product development and overall manufacturing/engineering is a must
- Strong ability to value engineer projects when not hitting target price points
- Strong technical knowledge and experience with drafting, 3D modeling, and digital or hand rendering essential (AutoCAD, Solidworks and Keyshot)
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite - Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign is essential
- Knowledge of the functional area, business strategies and business priorities
- Ability to interact and collaborate with executives and vendors with experience negotiating/influencing
- Ability to make decisions on operational matters that impact the effectiveness of the team
- Ability to translate business and design objectives into successful collections
- Good reading, written and verbal language skills (English)
The job description and other aspects of the job listed on this job posting should not be construed to contain every function/responsibility that may be required to be performed by an associate in this job. Associates are required to perform other related functions as assigned.
Euromarket Designs, Inc., which does business as Crate and Barrel and CB2, will be referred to as “the Company”. The Company is deeply committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact the location you are applying to here and ask to speak with a manager regarding the nature of your request.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
The Company participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the US.
State / City Compliance: The Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal history, including arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring and the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Get To Know Our Team.
Get to know us and find out why you should become part of our team.Meet Our Associates
Don’t See Anything of Interest?
Join our Talent Community to stay in the loop with our job news and opportunities.Sign Up (Opens in New Window)