Senior Developer, API and BackendLocation: Northbrook, Illinois
We inspire purpose-filled living that brings joy to the modern home. With a team of more than 8,000 associates spanning 130 store and distribution locations across the U.S. and Canada, we achieve together, drive results and innovate to inspire. Drawn together by a shared passion for our customers and a spirit of fun, we deliver high-quality home furnishings that are expertly designed, responsibly sourced and bring beauty and function to people’s homes. From the day we opened our first store in Chicago in 1962 to the digital innovations that engage millions of customers today, our iconic brand is over 60 years in the making—and our story is still unfolding.
We’re here for it. We think you should be too. We’re looking for a driven professional with an inclusive mindset to join our team as a Senior Developer (API and Backend).
Crate and Barrel’s technology vision is to deliver seamless, premium, personalized customer experiences through end-to-end operational excellence and a modern technology foundation. As we embark on our transformation journey, we are committed to innovate, invest, and modernize different systems across the enterprise. As a Senior Developer, you will be part of the core enterprise API solutions team and be instrumental in designing, developing and maintaining scalable enterprise APIs and microservices based on MACH principle, its backend systems and data platforms for our rapidly evolving enterprise systems.
Are you an experienced and technology enthusiast who wants to work in a collaborative environment? Our technology stack includes, but not limited to - C#, .NET 6/7, Golang, Postgresql, MongoDB, Redis, Elasticsearch, AWS/GCP, Kafka, Kubernetes, and Docker.
A day in the life as a Senior Developer…
- Requirements Analysis: Working with development manager, lead developer and product managers to understand, refine and translate feature specifications into technical requirements as needed
- Component Design: Participating in the component technical design discussions with the development manager and lead developer, as needed, to design the code components for APIs/microservices and backend applications that meet both the business functional and non-functional requirements
- Task Management: Estimating work effort required to complete the feature development. Working with product managers, and the lead developer and help refine product backlog stories as necessary
- Feature Development: Hands-on involvement in developing new features and/or enhancing existing features across backend development stacks that include APIs/Microservices, databases, cache layer, event-driven messaging and data pipeline. Ensure effective cross-functional collaboration and communication
- Testing: Adopting both BDD and TDD development practices and writing unit tests and behavioral tests; Working closely with Quality Engineers in defining testing scenarios and helping execute and integrate automated tests to ensure quality deliverables. Plan and conduct performance/load tests for APIs
- Maintenance: Defining necessary KPIs, logging, and building dashboards/ alerts based on API’s observability goals. Collaborating with the DevOps team to support the build automation and deployment process. Monitoring systems;Helping to investigate, troubleshoot, debug and implement fixes for defects
- Support: Providing installation and post-installation support
- Collaboration/Mentoring: Providing excellent cross-functional development support and communication. Engaging in pair programming, code reviews, and mentoring other developers
- Innovation: Keeping up with the trends in API/software development and its best practices; Proposing improvements in the existing API ecosystem including processes and development tools, and develop POCs
What you’ll bring to the table…
- You show proven ability to work alongside product managers, lead developers, and prioritize and develop a technical software solution to the business problem.
- You demonstrate a strong understanding of software development principles, design patterns, and object oriented programming designs and development. Experience in C#/.NET 6/7 is required. You understand TDD and have experience in writing unit tests.
- You have strong experience in API and microservice design patterns and development, and understands API design best practices and implementation including API security, messaging patterns (REST, GraphQL, gRPC), response designs, throttling, rate limiting, observability, testing and spec documentation using OpenAPI or Swagger.
- You have experience in working scalable, secured and reliable distributed systems for both Cloud and On-Premise environments. Additionally, you have prior experience with any cloud environments. AWS or GCP experience is preferred. Development experience building components that interact with events streaming platforms such as Apache Kafka or similar is preferred.
- You understand DevSecOps principles and experience with CI/CD pipelines, Git-based version control, Docker and Kubernetes is preferred.
- You have experience working with traditional RDBMS and NoSQL databases and you have experience with Redis or Memcached. Experience in Postgresql, MongoDB, Redis and Elasticsearch is preferred.
- You have experience working for small to medium sized development teams across projects to successful delivery while working in an Agile and cross-functional teams environment.
- You have used Application Performance Monitoring and Logging tools to establish operational excellence and continuous improvement and have experience in executing performance tests.
We’d love to hear from you if you have…
- 5+ years of software application development experience, including 1+ years of experience in developing APIs/microservices
- Demonstrated logical analysis and problem solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in the Retail domain is preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or comparable work experience
Our commitment to our associates is of the utmost importance. One of the reasons the company attracts such a diverse group of associates is that we offer a full menu of benefits that are relevant to their lives, both on and off the job. We are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package to support eligible part time and full time associates and their families, including:
- Life insurance and Disability
- Retirement and 401(k) match
- Paid time off, wellness time and volunteer time
- Merchandise discount and EAP resources
- Tuition Reimbursement
Many of these benefits begin on day one, and extend to eligible dependents. To learn more about available benefits please click https://jobs.crateandbarrel.com/benefits
Euromarket Designs, Inc., which does business as Crate and Barrel and CB2, will be referred to as “the Company”. The Company is deeply committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact the location you are applying to here and ask to speak with a manager regarding the nature of your request.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
The Company participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the US.
State / City Compliance: The Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal history, including arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring and the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Job Applicant Privacy: For details about how the Company collects and uses your personal information, please see our Job Applicant Privacy & Communications Notice.
Don’t See Anything of Interest?
Join our Talent Community to stay in the loop with our job news and opportunities.Sign Up (Opens in New Window)
Get To Know Our Team.
Get to know us and find out why you should become part of our team.