Technical Design Engineer, FurnitureApply Location: Northbrook, Illinois
With over 130 store and warehouse locations and more than 7,500 associates across the U.S. and Canada, Crate and Barrel is a dynamic and growing multi-channel furniture and housewares retailer. So we can continue to help others love how they live in moments that matter, the iconic brand is looking for a driven and passionate professional to raise the bar and join our Product Design and Development department as a Furniture Design Engineer located in our Northbrook, IL corporate office.
The Furniture Design Engineer will lead and mentor the associate furniture design team throughout the engineering and product development phase; teaching innovative ways to successfully build their designs. The engineer will guide the team in the creation of the perfect orthographic spec package which includes all manufacturing details pertinent to the factories’ success of executing the designs as intended. The Engineer will be responsible for keeping the Senior Director informed of any and all changes being made to the collections. This role provides overall leadership and product knowledge within the categories of case goods, upholstery and outdoor furniture.
- Must provide Portfolio link (including password) on resume or PDF sample.
- In partnership with the Senior Director of Design, the engineer will lead the design team in effective engineering and product development strategies for all furniture categories - case goods, upholstery and outdoor.
- Leverage expertise in furniture manufacturing to meet target retails set by merchant teams and use value engineering strategies to come up with innovative design solutions while maintaining an elevated look.
- Lead full cycle of product development from initial concept to completion, ensuring product development plan needs are met, RMU targets are achieved and deadlines are met.
- Manage the team’s drafting/spec out process to ensure we deliver clear and concise orthographic drawings including any design details pertinent to the design and factory in order for them to execute designs as intended.
- CAD alongside the design team during heavy design periods to meet important spec out submittal deadlines.
- Provide creative insight for product design in relation to materiality and manufacturing to design team.
- Work in close partnership and alignment with the sourcing leadership teams to execute designs keeping target retails and design intent in mind.
- Attend weekly meetings with sourcing teams to resolve current product development issues and set quality standards.
- Evaluate and resolve technical feasibility, design optimization and production issues.
- Ensure product developments and department milestones are met.
- Provide technical engineering expertise to realize creative designs.
- Bachelor's degree in Furniture Design, Industrial Design or related field
- 5+ years of relevant experience in product design, development and/or engineering
- Experience in managing teams is preferred
- Experience in furniture manufacturing, working with factories directly to create product as well as keeping up with current manufacturing technology
- Expert in CAD drafting and rendering programs; Solid Works, AutoCAD, Keyshot, Adobe Suite
- Extensive knowledge with materiality and finishes
- Good construction and testing / compliance knowledge
- Extensive international sourcing experience
- Ability to manage a design team and meet deadlines
- Proven track record in problem solving and coming up with design innovations when it comes to engineering case good, upholstery and outdoor furniture
- Ability to execute quality control inspections with a critical eye setting a standard for our cross functional teams and factories
- Understand small to large scale production ranging from low-end, mid to high-end luxury furniture
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-department teams as well as independently to drive business outcomes
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Good reading, written and verbal language skills (English)
The job description and other aspects of the job listed on this job posting should not be construed to contain every function/responsibility that may be required to be performed by an associate in this job. Associates are required to perform other related functions as assigned.
Euromarket Designs, Inc., which does business as Crate and Barrel and CB2, will be referred to as “the Company”. The Company is deeply committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact the location you are applying to here and ask to speak with a manager regarding the nature of your request.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
The Company participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the US.
State / City Compliance: The Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal history, including arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring and the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Get To Know Our Team.
Get to know us and find out why you should become part of our team.Meet Our Associates
Don’t See Anything of Interest?
Join our Talent Community to stay in the loop with our job news and opportunities.Sign Up (Opens in New Window)